A General Electric (GE) dishwasher is a nice addition to a home. They are efficient and do a great job cleaning our dishes. Sometimes, there are minor glitches, and resetting the dishwasher can often resolve minor glitches, improve functionality, and restore the appliance to its optimal performance. Whether due to unusual noises, incomplete cycles, or an error code on the display, resetting your dishwasher can be quick and effective. In this article, you will learn about why you may need to reset your GE dishwasher, how to reset it, and when you may need to replace it.
Let’s learn more!
Why You May Need to Reset Your GE Dishwasher?
A reset may be necessary if your GE dishwasher is:
- Not starting correctly.
- Stopping mid-cycle.
- Displaying error messages.
- Making strange noises or emitting burning smells.
How to Reset GE Dishwasher?
To reset your dishwasher, you must typically interrupt the power supply or use the control panel. This process can clear errors and recalibrate the system. users should make sure to disconnect the dishwasher from the power supply before attempting any reset methods.
4 Ways to Reset GE Dishwasher
1. Basic Reset
- Open the dishwasher door slightly.
- Press the Start/Reset button on the dishwasher’s control panel.
- Wait for 2 minutes to allow the dishwasher to pump out any water.
- Close the door and wait for the control panel to indicate that the reset is complete.
2. Power Cycle
- Disconnect the dishwasher from the power source by unplugging it or turning off the circuit breaker.
- Wait at least one minute to ensure all electrical charge is cleared.
- Reconnect the power to the dishwasher.
3. Hard Reset
- Locate the circuit breaker dedicated to the dishwasher.
- Turn off the breaker.
- Leave it off for at least 5 minutes to ensure a full discharge of the electrical components.
- Turn the breaker back on.
4. Control Panel Sequence
- Press and hold the Start or Reset button for about 3 seconds.
- Depending on your model, enter a diagnostic mode or perform a sequence instructed in the owner’s manual to reset the machine.
What if I Reset the GE Dishwasher and It Still Does Not Work?
If resetting does not solve the problem, the issue may be more complex and require inspecting the dishwasher filter and drain hose for blockages. Also, you may need to check the spray arms for proper rotation and cleanliness. Lastly, evaluate the detergent dispenser for correct operation.
How Do I Know If I Need to Replace My GE Dishwasher?
You might need to consider a replacement if the dishwasher has repeated breakdowns even after proper maintenance. Also, if repair costs are more than half the price of a new machine, it may be time to replace it. Additionally, if there are rust or water leaks that could indicate structural problems.
What to Consider When Choosing a New Dishwasher:
When choosing a new dishwasher, you may need to consider size, capacity, energy efficiency, and cost.
Other Maintenance and Information to Know
Regular maintenance includes cleaning the spray arm, filter, and seals, checking for hose kinks, and ensuring correct detergent usage. It is also important to maintain your dishwasher.
Dishwashers heat the water inside, which is good to know. Sensors built into the dishwasher will tell it when the water level has reached its capacity. Then the heating elements will heat the water to 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Another is unclogging the drain in the dishwasher. To do this, locate and remove the dishwasher filters, clean the filters and the drain, check the plumbing connections, turn on the garbage disposal, check the air gap on the sink, and clear the drain.
Lastly, if you find your dishwasher is leaking, it could be due to a clogged filter, a water line with a leak, or not draining correctly. Additionally, it is a good idea to call a professional if you aren’t sure how to fix it.
When to Call a Professional
You should call a certified technician if:
- Complex electrical or mechanical issues arise.
- Error codes continue after a reset.
- You’re unsure about conducting repairs safely.
There are all different makes and models of the GE dishwasher. Here is a video below of the rebooting of the GE Adora dishwasher.
Resetting your GE dishwasher can resolve many common issues; however, persistent problems may require professional intervention. Also, preventive maintenance can prolong the life of your dishwasher and help maintain peak efficiency. If troubleshooting and resets fail, consult the user manual, visit GE support, or contact a professional technician for assistance. While you are taking care of the dishwasher, it is a great time to reach out to Waypoint Inspections, we will take a look at your dishwasher while conducting home inspections in Tampa and Central Florida.